Parenting the special needs...

At A Glance...

This is a blog dedicated to my kiddos, Isabell and William. These amazing kids were born extra unique and one of a kind. It's currently unclear what Isabell and William's genetic disposition is- but they have faced many developmental and medical challenges. They each face their different challenges, but they are so much alike. We really think Isabell and William have the same un
diagnosed genetic syndrome. With a combined 24 hospitalizations, and 20 surgical procedures between these Warrior Kiddos, their needs are extra ordinary, and they are spectacular little children. I am the luckiest mom alive, and we are #leonfamilyaz

As I have time, I like to escape to this blog and give my readers a sneak peek into the window of our lives. Happy Reading!



Monday, November 22, 2010

8 days, and still sane...

Trying to keep my sanity here at PCH on our 8th day in the PICU. William is doing well, we are still in the PICU because William is still requiring such a high flow of oxygen, his CO2 gases are still decreasing to the normal range, and needing close respiratory attention. Being in ICU is great during William's fragile recovery because there is a doctor sitting outside our room at all times. I am so thankful for the team of intensivists that have cared for my son. Their excellent expertise has led my son down the road to recovery! I know we are still in ICU, but making progress to graduate out of ICU, recover a little longer on the "floor" and then home! 

I brought William's little infant swing from home yesterday, and he spent most of the day in his swing. He is feeling so much better, and I know he was wanting to get out of that crib. Someone needs to donate like 1,000 new baby crib mattresses to PCH that aren't so dang hard!! 

Little man was able to come off the Low Flow O2 Blender, and is on regular nasal canula at 1LPM. He has been a bit wheezy since we put him on the regular canula. We will see what his gases look like here a little later and if he is holding his gases then we are good, and if not then back to the Low Flow we will go. He is on his home feeding routine, and tolerating his G-Tube feeds great. 

Side note, kudos to our nurse. She is caring for William and a critical kid next door who sadly passed today. I have no idea what the details are, but to see Bree hold her composer for that baby and the family absolutely amazes me. She gave me a to the point explanation as to why she has been in the room with the family so much today, and apologized that she didn't get to spend much time with us. (side side note, still don't think this is fair for William that he has been neglected, as he is just as important if not MORE important than other patients! Yes I am a little partial!) Luckily I am here to hang with my little man, and change his diapers, every time I leave and come back he has poop. That makes me mad. Every Single Time! But no doubt, I respect our medical team so much and think they are amazing. When I voice my concerns, they do listen and I make sure my wishes are met. 


Tomorrow is my Isabell's 5th birthday! What a big sweet awesome beautiful little girl I have. Always smiling ear to ear, and being a nerd! We are going to celebrate at our Friends Rich and Shannon Rummels house. Isabell loves it there, and I am so happy that Shannon is having us over. She's the best! 


More updates later!

No comments:

Post a Comment