Parenting the special needs...

At A Glance...

This is a blog dedicated to my kiddos, Isabell and William. These amazing kids were born extra unique and one of a kind. It's currently unclear what Isabell and William's genetic disposition is- but they have faced many developmental and medical challenges. They each face their different challenges, but they are so much alike. We really think Isabell and William have the same un
diagnosed genetic syndrome. With a combined 24 hospitalizations, and 20 surgical procedures between these Warrior Kiddos, their needs are extra ordinary, and they are spectacular little children. I am the luckiest mom alive, and we are #leonfamilyaz

As I have time, I like to escape to this blog and give my readers a sneak peek into the window of our lives. Happy Reading!



Thursday, May 31, 2012

Call us Master Travelers!


We Made It!

All the packing, planning, organizing and preparation that it took me to get ready for our Texas Summer Adventure is already paying off. I am so proud of myself for accomplishing this goal, and crossing this off the ole bucket list of things to do with a Differently Abled child that requires so much care. In my efforts to live life to the fullest, and make some amazing memories- I am glad to check this adventure off the list.

Traveling with the crazy silly amount of bags and luggage went so smooth. Our airport and security experience was good. A super sweet friend of ours met us at my house early AM yesterday to help get us and all our gear to the Airport. And I must say I am the luckiest daughter in the world- I had help from my mom and I don't know what I would have done without her. I am so thankful she was able to take the day off and help us get to Texas. When checking our bags at the Curb, we notified the SouthWest Sky Captains that we had arrived with a disabled child and needed assistance. They were so nice and very helpful. I had to show them my letter from William's pediatrician that stated his diagnosis, and that he was medically fit to fly with all his specialized equipment. I got really nervous for a few minutes because the sky cap asked me if I had the official form printed out from Southwest.com that stated that I am the caretaker of the child and that I know how to manage and operate all the equipment... and I did not have that printout! I explained that I am William's mother/Caretaker and that I am the only person that can operate the equipment! A Southwest Airlines supervisor had to come speak with me (I'm assuming to see if I was competent enough to manage the equipment) she asked me a few questions, and sent us on our way wishing us happy travels. Another Sky cap got us luggage carts and we piled all of our 9 carry ons onto the cart and a transport aid worker helped us with all our belongings from the curb, through security and to our gate! Security was a silly adventure in itself- but went super smooth in my opinion. We had to walk trough the metal detectors and a TSA agent pushed William in his wheelchair past the metal detector. TSA did inspect every medication and every item we had. They even did a full body pat down on me.... not once, but YAY me- Twice. Boobs, Butt, Inner thighs- the whole bit. After getting felt up twice, TSA gave us two thumbs up and wished us Happy Travels! We got to our gate, and had time to grab breakfast at Fox Sports Grill. We tipped our transport aid guy, and we were all set to board the flight! We got a pre-board pass and we were the first peeps to board the plane. William sat in his carseat, and (Between 77%-98%, so I was adjusting the oxygen flow from 0.5LPM to 1LPM to 1.5 LPM to 2LPM. William seemed unaffected, though! He slept for 20-30 minutes. Isabell was a super good girl, she had to hold her me-maws hand during take off and landing! It was cute. Richie met us in the Houston Hobby airport and helped us get our checked bags. We were so HAPPY to see daddy! After we got done at the airport and unloaded all our bags at the RV- we went out for a steak dinner at SaltGrass Steakhouse and then dropped my mom back at Hobby so she could fly back to Phoenix. We had a great first night here in the trailerhood.

Enjoy the photos of our Airport Experience (I wish I had better ones, but this gives y'all a glance of what it was like!)

More updates and photos to come as our summer adventure continues!







3 comments:

  1. Inspirational! So glad to see our similarly abled friends out and about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! I hope I inspire all of our Uniqely Abled friends to live life a little!

      Delete
  2. Hey Crystal! So glad that you made it and are settling in. Thank you for sharing your travel story, I too have gotten the pat-down, along with my boys (foster son 16 months, and son 3 years). It was an adventure for sure. Your son looks so comfy in his Recaro carseat, they are the best! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete