Parenting the special needs...

At A Glance...

This is a blog dedicated to my kiddos, Isabell and William. These amazing kids were born extra unique and one of a kind. It's currently unclear what Isabell and William's genetic disposition is- but they have faced many developmental and medical challenges. They each face their different challenges, but they are so much alike. We really think Isabell and William have the same un
diagnosed genetic syndrome. With a combined 24 hospitalizations, and 20 surgical procedures between these Warrior Kiddos, their needs are extra ordinary, and they are spectacular little children. I am the luckiest mom alive, and we are #leonfamilyaz

As I have time, I like to escape to this blog and give my readers a sneak peek into the window of our lives. Happy Reading!



Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Travel Update!

Howdy Leon Family Fans. We have been in Texas for 35 days, and we have 13 days left of our 6 week getaway. We have been busy spending time with Richie and checking out the sights around Houston- while trying to keep cool from the heat and major humidity!

Richie got a Smoker BBQ and on Sundays we have "Smokin Sundays"- Richies smoked meats are killer. To be quite honest, everything Richie makes is super killer. I always tell people, he could make you a plain jane turkey and cheese sandwich and it would be the best turkey and cheese sandwich you have ever eaten. He has such a magic touch when preparing meals. He made these stuffed jalapenos the other night and they were hot as hell, but so incredibly delicious.

We went to Nasa Space Center Houston a few weeks ago and it was neat to see the Space Center. When we were out on our Tram Tour it started raining. We got to the first building to tour. All the people on the tram train unloaded and we went into the building- it was the command center where they have mockup versions of many space ships etc. We even got to see real live space rover's. When we were inside the building, it started raining so hard, ad lightening. We were unable to re load onto the tram train due to the lightening warning and we were stuck in the command center for 1 1/2 hours! After that, we were unable to finish the tour because we had to hurry and get back to the main building. What an adventure!

The kiddos and I went to the Houston Zoo on June 21st. It wasn't that hot out that day, but was very humid! We were there for 3 hours. It was so beautiful at the Zoo, lots of trees and awesome animal exhibits. Our favorite part were watching baby elephants play and wrestle in a large pool of water. They kept dunking each other, and tackling each other. Cutest thing ever.

It has been interesting going out and about by myself with the kiddos here in Houston. Loading up all William's gear takes lots of extra time, and effort. The travel oxygen we brought with us is big, heavy and bulky. The Wheelchair is big, heavy and bulky- and is in 2 pieces. Everywhere I go, I have to attach or detach the top portion of the wheelchair and load that into the truck. Then fold up the bottom wheelbase portion of the wheelchair and load it up. Loading up takes alot of time and patience- not only with William, but with Isabell too! Richie's ford truck that we are driving is taller than my Tahoe and Isabell struggles to get in, and most of the time struggles with buckling the seat belt. So to get ready I go out and start the truck so it can cool off, and load my personal gear (purse, phone, drink, food etc) I round Isabell up and anything that she wants to bring in the truck with us (a drink, toys, food etc) I hoist her into the back seat and I get in to buckle her and get her set up. Then I round William and all his gear up (feeding equipment, suction machine, ToGo bag, O2, toys, and the prince himself) and I hoist William into his car seat. Buckle him up, throw all the gear in. Then I load up the wheel chair - break it down into 2 pieces and hoist it into the bed of the truck (unless its raining, in which I then put the top seat portion of the chair into the front seat of the truck). I bet y'all were wondering how I did all that- and BAM, that's how!

One of our favorite places we have visited has been the Children's Museum of Houston. We have been there twice already, we loved it so much. Isabell got to play, and interact with many of the awesome interactive exhibits they have. They have this miniature kid town where kids can play and pretend. William, Isabell and I really enjoyed the kid town. We used our imaginations, played, laughed and had a ton of fun.

We also went to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I really enjoyed it, but didn't get to see it all because it was incredibly boring for the kiddos. Totally a place where you CANT TOUCH anything. Doesn't work well with my Isabell who touches everything! We did get to take a special tour at the museum featuring real stories and artifacts from the ship Titanic. I enjoyed that, but I had to drag Isabell through it telling her NOT to touch a thing! (She touched almost everything- I am sure the museum staff wanted to kill us!) We were not there for long, but enjoyed our time together. If it weren't so hot and muggy out we would go out and walk around the city more.

Last weekend we went to Galveston. The beach there was so dirty, and it was kindof stinky there! It was raining alot on Saturday, but we got to walk around a bit and see a few things. There was  Carnival Cruise Ship docked there with people loading up onto it, so that was neat to see the Cruise Ship.

Richie has the 4th off, so we plan on sleeping in and spending the day together. Over the weekend, we are going to go to Shreveport, LA. The drive over there is beautiful, and it will be nice to get out of the trailerhood for the weekend.



I have something that I want to rant about....

To all my friends and family-

Having a special needs child has changed my entire outlook and perspective on life. I was once that person (like most of you) who would see parents out and about with their special needs child or children and just stare. Not staring out of disrespect per say, but staring like they were different or something. Staring because I didn't understand. 

Now that I have a child with many special health challenges and different abilities than the average bear, and I am the one who is being stared at everywhere we go. I would like to help the world understand people like me. I encourage our audience to say HELLO. I encourage those who are staring because we look different, or because you don't understand to make eye contact and smile. It's ok, we are human too. Parents like me like smiles, conversation, and even a helping hand at times. Instead of scurrying along to get where you are going, hold the door open for us at the store if you see us coming. If you see a mother of a child who is wheelchair bound, keep in mind that it takes everything in her might to manage that wheelchair and the child in it who may not be able to care for oneself. If you see her out with her child in that wheelchair, make her day a little easier by holding the DAMN door open for her, say hello and ask her if she freaking needs help! Most of us special needs moms will say "No Thanks, we got it" and that's because we have gotten used to doing it all by ourselves.

Many parents who have children with special abilities and require so much do not venture out that often, and rarely get to have a normal day. It takes alot of patience and preparation just to leave the house depending on how much equipment and gear the child requires. It is also hard to take a child out and about who is immobile. They are heavy, need diaper changing, among other things that require constant care. When you ever see a family like so out and about (at the store, county fair, Disneyland, etc) keep in mind that they are only trying to live life as normally as they can while being different. Would it be so hard to lend a helping hand when they are struggling through the door? Would it be so hard to smile at them and say "Hello"?

Don't be ignorant. Educate yourself, and surround yourself with knowledge on the matter. To better understand us special needs families- volunteer at your local Children's Hospital. Volunteer at local organizations that specialize in caring for children with disabilities. Learn how hard it is to care for these amazing children, but how they are just as human as you and the average bear. They just have different abilities than most. Connect with their parents, and let them know they are doing a good job! It makes their day.

I have to share the sweetest thing. We are here in Texas, and we have been hanging out with Richie's co-worker, Bit's family. He has a really great wife named Dawn, a 10 year old son named Cole and a functioning special needs 4 year old named Reya. The first time I went over to visit them at their house while the guys were at work- I pulled up in the driveway and Cole scurried out to greet me. He asked what he could help with, and helped me unload everything in the truck including the heavy wheelchair and oxygen tank and even helped Isabell out. And he didn't stop helping until he knew were comfortable. I have never had a 10 year old be so kind, helpful, understanding and respectful.  And hey- I am not throwing anyone under the bus here BUT many of my very own family members have not even been so helpful and understanding. I am so glad I met Cole, he's a good kid- and is setting some amazing examples to the society we live in. It's because he is the older brother to a special needs child.

So here is to all those friends and family of mine who don't have a special needs sibling. I want to spread awareness about understanding people with special needs. Understanding people with special abilities. Understanding that we are not from another planet, and we love to connect with people. We do not love to be stared at, pointed at, and made fun of.

When people are continuously staring at me and William it takes alot of my might to just smile back. I would love to make smart comments to them like "Take a picture, it will last longer" BUT how can I spread awareness that we are HUMAN like you if I am always attacking the staring audience? I don't say things like that to people, I just hand them a Team William business card- and sometimes hand out a Team William wristband which has links to our Facebook page, and a link to this blog. I hand those out to share our story, and share how we are living life to the fullest. We have hopes, dreams and goals too- they just are extra special when caring for our special children. It takes extra time and patience to achieve hopes, wishes and dreams when your the parent of a special needs child.

I recently had a jackasaurus approach me to tell me that it was disturbing that I left my William sitting in his wheelchair outside of an RV while I went inside to look inside. Here's the scene... We went to the Houston Boat Show and luckily there weren't many people there, so it wasn't busy. In one area of the showroom was some RV's. Richie, Isabell, William and I scurried over to look at the RV's, and we popped into one to check it out. Obviously, wheelchairs cannot go inside. We parked William outside the RV we wanted to look at, and popped inside for 5 minutes. Meanwhile I was chasing Isabell back and forth and I glanced at William 5-6 times in the 5 minutes. After I was done looking inside, Isabell and I walked around the outside of the RV and then I got William and started to push him along. An older man, who I have nick named Jackasaurus, approached me to tell me how disturbing it was that I left my child sitting out in the middle of God Knows What. For those of you that know me, I wouldn't put William in danger or harm if MY life depended on it. NOR was he left in an area alone with no supervision. I responded to the jackasaurus that I am sorry I have offended him, but my child is perfectly fine and to mind his own business and scurry along. He proceeded to call me a Fucking Bitch. being that I am the feisty gal that I am, and this jackasaurus was in the wrong- I hauled off and hit him as hard as I could in the arm, grabbed him by the arm and told the guy "I would like you to meet my husband and tell him what you just told me" and I yelled for Richie who came running out of the RV so fast! By that time the jackasaurus was yelling "Assault" and Richie asked him what the hell his problem was and the jackasaurus had nothing to say. This guy popped out of nowhere, seen something that he thought he should take charge over- and was mouthy to the wrong special needs momma. I have fought tooth and nail for William, and have gotten this far with him in his last 2 1/2 years, I'd have to say that I am doing something right. Anyone who is disturbed by that can go fly a kite. We immediately left the Boat and RV show with no visits from Security or the Law. We realized we are better than that, and I hope that jackasaurus had a bruise to remind him of what a HUGE Jack Ass he is.

So to all- I am now and forever going to be passionate about spreading awareness. Spreading awareness NOT to be ignorant! Spreading awareness that some people need to set their ego's aside, and stop being ignorant to the fact that People with Disabilities are PEOPLE too.










No comments:

Post a Comment